The Bartolotta Catering at Discovery World
Opportunity added 06/07/2019
The Sous Chef is responsible for the effective daily operations of the kitchen. This includes staffing, recruitment, employee development, financial management and facilities management. Provide prompt, efficient and courteous service for all guests, while assisting other team members and management in the delivery of a positive dining experience and overall guest satisfaction.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Assist the Executive Chef in the management of an inventory process.
- Monitor inventory process in compliance with respective policies and procedures.
- Purchase inventory according to needs, quality, specifications and budgets.
- Cost out food specials.
- Work closely with the Executive Chef and management staff regarding customer satisfaction in regards to food selections.
- On-going menu engineering
- Insure quality in menu and food preparation
- Prepares menu items according to standard recipes, plate presentations and specifications in a timely manner.
- Sets up work station according to station diagram and daily product inventory to Chef’s standards.
- Completes all assigned prep work to Chefs standards.
- Maintains product presentation, product quality and cook time standards.
- Practices sanitary and safe food handling at all times.
- Completes assigned daily and weekly cleaning projects.
- Performs sidework before, during and after shift as has ended.
- Assist other team members and management as needed.
- Assist in maintaining a safe working environment.
- Present professional demeanor in attire, language and attitude.
- Good organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Able to work at a rapid pace for an extended period of time.
- Capable of using knives, slicers, broiler, grill, fryer, microwave and steamer in a safe and productive manner.
- Adhere to all sanitation policy and guidelines as it pertains to handling of food and personal hygiene.
- Ability to anticipate business volume and prepare kitchen and work station accordingly.
- Monitor cleanliness of kitchen in accordance with Wisconsin sanitation codes.
- Monitor grounds of delivery and garbage areas.
- Interact with external vendors regarding facility emergencies. With the Executive Chef, interact with external vendors to obtain the best quality in pricing and product.
- Communicate with vendors regarding food purchases.
- Keep accurate vendor logs with orders and receivables
Manage personnel in an effective manner.
- Train and develop staff.
- Insure proper paperwork is completed and submitted to HR Manager/Chef in timely manner.
- Promote a team environment by example and by participating in workload completion when necessary and Interact with employees in a sensitive, positive manner.
- Understand and use Human Resources Policies and Procedures manual.
- Communicate with employees promptly when incidents arise that may be a detriment to their performance or to the company in general.
- Requires prolonged periods of being on their feet ranging from 4 – 8 hours/shift.
- Walking and standing on the kitchen tiling with potentially slick surfaces.
- Light/moderate lifting is required between 50 - 100 pounds.
- Position dictates working in a fast-paced environment and subject to irregular hours including late nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays.
- Education: Some High School, High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Certified in food service sanitation as mandated by the state of Wisconsin.
- Three to five years’ kitchen experience with two of those years preferably involved in kitchen management.
- Experience with information systems related to restaurant management and/or kitchen management.